Ever wondered how this company was established? How it came about? Or how it has attained such height of success? Well, that’s the essence of this article. To give you an overall view of this company and how it came about.
Airtel Networks Limited is one of the leading telecommunications services provider in Nigeria with its headquarters in Lagos, the commercial centre of Nigeria.
Airtel ranks amongst the top four mobile service providers in terms of subscribers with a customer base of more than 39.8 million. The company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce and enterprise services.
Airtel’s parent company, Bharti Airtel Limited is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 16 countries across Asia and Africa.
With their headquarters in New Delhi, India, the company ranks amongst the top 3 mobile service providers globally in terms of subscribers.
In India, the company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce, fixed line services, high speed home broadband, DTH, enterprise services including national & international long distance services to carriers.
In the rest of the geographies, it offers 2G, 3G, 4G wireless services and mobile commerce. Bharti Airtel had over 413 million customers across its operations at the end of March 2018.
Airtel has network presence in all states of the Federation, Local Government Areas, major towns and villages in Nigeria. The company’s mobile networks cover over 70% of Nigeria’s population and its 3G coverage ratio is over 41%.
The company’s distribution network spreads across over 40,000 retail outlets with well over 332,042 retailers.
In the Financial Year 2016- 17, Airtel’s network carried over 420Tb (Terabytes) of data volume.
Airtel is known for its Corporate Social Investments programmes, particularly its Adopt-a-School initiative, which seeks to provide a 360 degree approach for identifying, nurturing and developing the minds of underprivileged children across public primary schools.
Airtel has also consistently intervened in areas of health-care, access to clean water and several charity projects within its four adopted schools just as it is bankrolling the Airtel Touching Lives programme, a revolutionary initiative designed to offer practical relief to the underprivileged, hard-to-reach and downtrodden.
While Airtel has scored big with its Adopt-a-School programme and the Touching Lives initiative, its Employee Volunteer Scheme has also provided an outlet for its staff to directly participate in touching the lives of members of the many communities where it operates.
Awards and Excellence
Below are key achievements and successes recorded by Airtel Nigeria:
- 2001 – Awarded Digital Mobile License (DML) for communication services in Nigeria
- 2001 – Becomes first telecoms operator to launch commercial GSM services on August 5
- 2003 – Wins Most Customer Sensitive Network (Thisday Newspapers)
- 2003 – Wins Best Customer-Friendly Network (Telecoms Awards)
- 2005 – Wins Best Customer Care Operator (Telecoms Awards)
- 2005 – Wins GSM Company of the Year (City People Magazine)
- 2006 – Wins Best Customer Care Operator (Telecoms Awards)
- 2006 – Wins Best Customer Care Mobile Company (IT & Telecoms Digest, 2006)
- 2007 – Wins the Brand of the Year and Good Governance Awards (Thisday Awards)
- 2008 – Wins Best Customer Care Award (Nigerian Communications Commission)
- 2009 – Wins the Best Customer Care Award (Nigerian Information Technology and Telecoms Awards)
- 2010 – Launches service under the brand name Airtel.
- 2011 – Becomes the first Telco to rollout 3.75G Network pan Nigeria
- 2011 – Launches award-winning CSR programme, Adopt-a-School
- 2011 – Wins the Best Customer Care Operator (Telecoms Awards)
- 2011 – Wins the CSR Awards for Educational Development (Organized PR Practitioners)
- 2012 – Adjudged by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management as the Telco with best HR practices
- 2012 – Becomes first Telco to complete 4G LTE field trial
- 2012 – Becomes first Telco to launch the revolutionary HD Voice Service
- 2013 – Wins triple awards for customer service, brand innovation and company of the year at the prestigious Nigerian Telecoms Awards.
- 2013 – Adjudged best Telco Company by CIPM for best HR practices in telecoms sector
- 2014 – Launches Airtel Touching Lives, revolutionary CSR programme to uplift the less privilege
- 2014 – Adjudged by the prestigious SERA Panel as Best CSR Company in Education delivery
- 2015 – Bagged the Association of Telecommunications Company of Nigeria’s Merit Award
- 2015 – Named Telecoms Brand of the Year by the African Leadership Magazine
- 2016 – Named Most Friendly Customer Operator by the Nigerian Telecoms Awards
- 2016 – Airtel Nigeria’s CEO, Segun Ogunsanya, named Telecoms CEO of the Year by the Nigerian Telecoms Awards
- 2016 – Airtel Nigeria’s CEO, Segun Ogunsanya, named Telecoms CEO of the Year by Marketing Edge Magazine
- 2016 – Airtel Nigeria was awarded the ‘Best Company in Reduction of Inequality’ (SDG 10) at the prestigious SERA Awards, a notable platform that recognizes exceptional CSR interventions in Nigeria.
- 2017 – Awarded great place to work in Jobberman
- 2017 – Airtel’s TVC, Data is Life, bags three awards at African Cristal Festival
- 2017 – Airtel gets award for selfless service, joins LUTH for World Blood Donor Day
- 2017 – Airtel Adjudged Best Company In Recruitment
- 2017 – CEO Named Best Telecoms CEO In Africa
- 2017 – Airtel Nigeria bags LCCI Service Excellence in Telecom Award
- 2017 – Airtel adjudged Most Outstanding Customer-Centric Telecoms Brand by MarketingEdge
- 2017 – Payment Innovation in Telecom Award at INTERSWITCH Awards
- 2017 – Airtel Wins Award for Excellence in CSR at Global Patriot Newspaper’s
- 2017 – Telecom CEO of the Year Award
- 2017 – NTITA CSR Execellence Award
- 2017 – Best TV Commercial campaign Award
- 2017 – Airtel adjudged best company in stakeholder engagement at SERAS 2017
- 2017 – Airtel’s Lost TVC wins Gold at Epica Awards
- 2017 – Airtel’s TVC Lost wins best Commercial at LAIF Awards
Careers On Airtel Nigeria
Serving over 30 million customers across Nigeria, Airtel seeks to connect communities and foster relationships that cut across geographic boundaries. We are alive to the needs of our customers as we help them realize their dreams using innovative products and services.
They champion diversity, recognizing the depth and breadth of the communities we serve, driving inclusivity while working in the local communities to adapt and deliver solutions that enrich their lives.
At Airtel Nigeria, we know that our most important assets are our people. That is why we constantly strive to hire passionate people who have energy and a can-do spirit looking to impact their communities positively.
Our core values of being alive to the needs of the customer, having an inclusive mindset in all we do as well as ensuring we are respectful to the fact that our customers are the reason for existence, is enshrined in all we do.
From the moment you apply to join our Airtel Nigeria family and throughout your career with us, we strive to show you how much we value you by providing a value proposition unique to the market.
Sponsorships On Airtel Nigeria
The Voice Season 1
Lagos, Nigeria; Friday, April 8, 2016: Following the recent launch of Nigeria’s adaption of the internationally renowned reality singing competition, ‘The Voice’, leading telecommunications services provider, Airtel Nigeria, has announced the commencement of broadcast of the show on TV stations across the country.
Airtel sponsored The Voice Nigeria is bound to keep viewers at the edge of their seats as they watch thrilling performances from talented Nigerians. Another interesting element to this Airtel sponsored show is the quality of judges.
Airtel’s brand ambassadors, TuFace Idibia, dancehall sensation, Patoranking, are joined by Nigeria’s songstress, Waje and the sensational Timi Dakolo as judges/mentors for the show.
The 17-episode show which promises to keep viewers glued to their seat will be hosted by Airtel’s Smart Icon IK Osakioduwa and Stephanie Coker.
Viewers of the show will be thrilled as the show has a mix of exciting entertainment and performances from the array of contestants on the show.
Speaking during recent launch of The Voice Nigeria, Chief Commercial Officer, Ahmad Mokhles noted that Airtel is an avid supporter of music, the arts and entertainment.
Mokhles said “At Airtel we are always looking for platforms to delight and engage talented youths. We are aware of the great potentials that lie in thousands of Nigerians and we are committed to bringing out the best in them.
One of the greatest assets Nigeria have are its people. We at Airtel are constantly looking for ways to develop people through arts, entertainment, sports, education and empowerment.
Airtel Nigeria will continually do it can to make Nigeria and its people better” Mokhles added.
The Voice Nigeria, is sponsored by Airtel Nigeria in partnership with M-Net Africa who got franchise of the show.
‘The Voice Nigeria’ TV show, which seeks to scout music talents in Nigeria, began in December, 2015 with auditioning of participants across all regions of the country.
About Airtel Touching Lives
Airtel Touching Lives is an inspiring corporate social responsibility initiative that seeks to offer practical relief, succour, hope, opportunities and credible platforms to liberate and empower the underprivileged, disadvantaged and hard to reach persons in our society.
The activities of Airtel Touching Lives are recorded and produced for national television with a view to promoting the spirit of giving, self-sacrifice and love among Nigerians.
Airtel Touching Lives has entered its fourth season. The 13-episode programme, which features 24 emotion-evoking stories, is broadcast on Sundays on Africa Magic Channel 151 by 7.30-8.00pm. Repeat broadcast is aired on Africa Magic Family 154 on Saturdays 8pm to 8.30pm; Africa Magic Urban on Thursdays 7.30pm to 8.00pm; AIT on Sundays by 6.30pm to 7pm; NTA on Wednesdays by 8.30pm to 9.00pm and Arewa 24 TV on Sundays by 7.00pm to 7.30pm.
In previous seasons, Airtel has touched the lives of over 2 million Nigerians who were directly or indirectly plagued with varying forms of afflictions ranging from health challenges to financial woes.
The beneficiaries of the Airtel Touching Lives initiative are carefully selected from a pool of nominations by members of the public. Airtel, thereafter, offers support/empowerment to identified beneficiaries after relevant due diligence and verification exercises.
The journey then kicks off in a road show with a crew comprising television producers, social workers and Airtel employees travelling to the field to verify and investigate the requests and identify those affected or concerned.
The stark realities are filmed and the key actors invited to the studio, where their plights are highlighted and the support announced.
All these are recorded and then broadcast on national television, not for publicity or marketing, but to highlight the enormity of challenges facing the less privileged and encourage the haves to support the have-nots, thereby promoting the culture of giving.
Below is the process for nomination:
- Text or Call 367
- Send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the Nomination Form on their website.
Here you have it: All about Airtel Nigeria, history, services, customer base and it’s sponsorship programs as well as its social responsibility to the community.
Have any thoughts on this? Share with us in the comment section below.